“POLITICO” declare : Judge: Trump and government lawyers seem at odds over new travel ban
collected by :Molly Tony
Acting on a lawsuit brought by the states of Washington and Minnesota, Robart blocked Trump‘s first travel ban order last month.
“The court understands Plaintiffs’ frustrations concerning statements emanating from President Trump’s administration that seemingly contradict representations of the federalgovernment’s lawyers in this and other litigation before the court.”
The substance of administration statements about the forthcoming order has also been confusing.
Seattle-based U.S. District Court Judge James Robart indicated in an order Friday that he agrees with challengers of the first ban that statements from Trump and his aides seem to be at odds with government attorneys’ promises that a new order will “rescind” the old one.
That event was reportedly scuttled so that Trump could bask in positive reviews of his Tuesday night speech to Congress and the nation.
as declared in
But Trump‘s order has her worried that her son’s visa process will be indefinitely suspended, she said.
The Trump administration has defended the order, saying more restrictions are needed to protect the U.S. from future terrorist attacks.
The lawsuit filed in Seattle’s U.S. District Court in late January claims Trump’s order barring people from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the U.S. is unconstitutional.
Robart also said he understood the frustrations of the parents and Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, who filed the lawsuit, over Trump administration statements that seemingly contradict those made by federalgovernment lawyers.
Nevertheless, Robart said, the court will continue to rely on statements coming from the federal attorneys.
as declared in
Trump lawyers get 2-week extension in travel ban lawsuit
Trump was expected to sign the new executive order earlier this week, but ultimately postponed the move.
A federal judge in Seattle is giving the Justice Department two more weeks to respond to a lawsuit regarding President Trump’s travel ban executive order, the Associated Press reported Saturday.
The suit alleges that the president’s Jan. 27 executive order is barring legal residents from reuniting with their children, who have been halted from coming to the U.S.
ADVERTISEMENTThe new deadline for the Justice Department to respond to is March 20.
The original executive order barred citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries — Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Somalia — from entering the U.S. and suspended the country’s refugee resettlement program.